Tuesday, July 15, 2008

So I didn't post last night. I'm sure you found yourself thinking, "Well, she posted every day for a week. Now she probably won't blog for three weeks." If you did, you were WRONG!

Last night by the time JT got to bed I was just too tired. It had been a loooong day. There was certainly things I could have written about, like JT getting his Brazilian passport, how my paint buying experience was unusually quick and pleasant and how nice it was to go for a morning walk with the kid and the dog. But I passed out, knowing I would need all my strength today because JT got some shots yesterday.

But that's not what I wanted to say today. I was just making a yummy dinner of blueberry pancakes (made from muffin mix some nice person brought us) and thinking about last week's project. And as I thought, a song popped into my head. Songs pop into my head all the time but this one surprised me. I was surprised by which song it was but at the same time I was surprised that I hadn't thought of it sooner.

I guess I didn't think of it sooner because it never really meant that much to me. We sang it a lot growing up but the lyrics always seemed a little, well, trite. And then I had a bad experience where it was sung at an inappropriate time and I just got turned off ever wanting to sing it. And of course, living here, I'm losing my repertoire of English songs, though I am working through Songs of Faith and Praise with JT.

So what song was it?

Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God hath done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.


(Are you at least humming yet?)

Now it doesn't seem quite so trite (though I can't say I love all the lyrics). I understand the idea of it--in tough times, focus on what God has done. Seems pretty obvious to say it like that. But I think that in those times, we often get caught up in what we want God to do and not what he's already done. Remembering His faithfulness yesterday past will help us get through today. By tomorrow we'll be able to look back and recognize today's blessings that may not have been visible while things were so tough.

So I think I will post my blessings on a semi-regular basis. I also think I'm going to start writing about my reflections on the hymns I've been singing. When you haven't sung them in a while, the words take on new meaning. Hopefully the posting drought of the past few months is over--JT is getting much better at playing independently--and I'll be able to share more about our lives and ministry.

3 comments:

CP said...

I came via 3giraffes after seeing your comment on our PIF contest. Next time (b/c I plan to win again and thus have contest v3.0, ha!), you can leave some lyrics instead of a random comment. I'm totally going to file this away- promise!

Amanda said...

You are so right about focusing on what we want God to do instead of what he has already done. Noticing blessings is a very healthy practice. Maybe I will start too..

Anonymous said...

NowThatMY4sonsareBetween10&24-
Brian24DAVID22DEC21)&COLBY19-sharin'Don'sDec4BD)I'mSOgrateful4MIKE&DEBBIE'Sleadership&EXAMPLE!met
themFALLof78,ONLubbockTXtrip2OK.
VBS2008BIBLEHeroes-isHISTORY4Todd& Lanny+ManyWORKERSAdult&YOUTH! JEFFSTEARNSfixedMANYhotDogs.StearnsINVITED MQ2Tonkawa4supper&2watch WildHogs,ThursEVE.Thanks,Val4your example-COUNTingitALLjoy&2Tim2:15!