Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Far Far Away

I've lived away from home for a while now- for almost nine years I have lived in a different country than my parents. I've gotten fairly used to it, but there's one thing that remains difficult- being sick.

Today I woke up feeling mostly fine but by lunchtime I felt pretty lousy. We headed home at about 3:00 and I was experiencing crazy chills. I was walking down the street with goosebumps. I went straight to bed and fell asleep. At about 7:00, Russ headed out to buy me Tylenol and a thermometer. My temperature was 40 degrees (about 104). I have spent the afternoon aching and moaning and all I have wanted was something comforting! I didn't think to bring "sick clothes" with me when we moved here! When I chose which clothes to pack, I wasn't thinking, "And a sweatshirt and my fuzzy socks for when I have chills." I had to improvise- I instead wore my workout clothes and two pairs of Russ' socks. I couldn't make our apartment any warmer because we don't have a heater. We barely have any blankets. I lay wrapped in our two little quilts with beach towels pilled on top.

But the worst part about being sick like that is that my parents are far away. Russ does a wonderful job of taking care of me, but it's just not the same. Russ can make suggestions as to what I do, for example insist I take a shower, but he just doesn't have the clout of my mom and dad.

I don't know if anyone else on the team has felt this way yet, but they will. I've felt it many times before. And it doesn't get any easier.

Thanks for putting up with my pity party. My fever has broken but I am probably still a little delirious. I just thought I'd be honest about how it feels to be far from home and feeling so bad.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, Val, I know what you mean. I sincerely hope you are better soon.

thegermanygirl said...

Val, I know how you feel, too. Husbands are wonderful, but they don't quite have the "mommy touch." ;o)